As business owners we need our businesses to make money.
In my opinion an established business which does not pay its owner(s) a decent wage is really a hobby. So given that we need our businesses to make money it follows that we need to be sufficiently au fe with business finances to understand if our business is running our finances, or whether we our running our business finances.
Unfortunately, a large numbers of business owners are not financially savvy enough.
If you would like to see if you are one of these, try answering the questions below:
- Do you have a clear financial plan?
- Do you know if your business is currently profitable?
- At this point do you know how much money is in your bank and what money you can expect in and out of your bank account over the next month?
- Do you know what customers/products/services are profitable?
- Do you have a robust invoicing and debt collection system so clients pay you in a reasonable time (do you know what reasonable is?)?
- Are you always able to pay your suppliers on time?
- Can you always pay your salary/dividend/drawings?
- Do you know how much you have to sell, and at what price, to provide the lifestyle you want?
If the answer to two or more of these questions is “no” you are probably not as financially savvy as you need to be to run your business effectively.
However, help is at hand and there are ways you can help yourself.
- If you have an accountant/bookkeeper ask them questions about your financial position and what you could do to improve it
- Talk to your business friends who seem to be financially sorted and ask them what they do
- There are volumes of business books out there that can help you understand the basics
- Take time to properly plan
- You may want to go on a finance for non-financial managers course to learn the basics in a workshop setting.
Finally, I have written a series of FREE financial and business guides which you can download from my website http://www.fionabevanfinancialmanagement.co.uk/guides.php
You can download as many or as few of the guides as you like without registering so please do take advantage of them.